Our special puppies are cared for by volunteers in their homes for 14 – 18 months, giving them the best start on their journey to be life changing dogs.
How we socialise our life-changing puppies
COVID-19 UPDATE: If you are interested in volunteering for us, we would love to hear from you and are still taking applications for all of our volunteering roles. Please be aware that due to the current restrictions on movement during the coronavirus pandemic we are unable to carry out the final stage of the application which is for our staff to visit you at home. This means that we are unable to place puppies and dogs with new volunteers until the restrictions on movement are changed. We are also unable to place dogs with individuals currently on the government furlough scheme.
Register your interest today
Puppy Socialiser criteria
Although no experience is necessary, puppy socialisers are required to meet the following criteria:
- You have a fully-fenced safe and secure garden
- You are away from the puppy for no more than two hours (in the first few weeks) and four hours (for the remaining time you have the puppy) per day
- Have no more than two existing pet dogs
- That you drive or have access to someone at all times who can drive you and the puppy
- With the support of our puppy department train the puppy in the basics, i.e. house training, general obedience and walking on the lead
- Able to spend some time every day on activities to socialise the puppy. Environments that need to be covered at some time include train stations, buses, shops and crowded and rural areas
- To be able to attend monthly puppy classes and allow home visits from a member of our puppy training team
- You are able to provide the puppy with regular contact with children, other dogs and cats.