We’ve put together some brain games and enrichment ideas for dogs during the coronavirus lockdown period to help keep your dogs happy.
Enrichment is described as giving animals’ mental stimulation that allows them to perform natural behaviours, permits them to be more active and increases the control over their environment. Enrichment helps satisfy both the physical and psychological needs of animals and allows them to make choices and encourages them to use their brain to solve puzzles and problems. This can increase their overall happiness and satisfaction, whilst reducing boredom, anxiety and physical and psychological energy.
How to play the toy find game with your dog
This is a simple game you can play anywhere! Follow our steps below and watch the video to see our trainers do it.
Please support us
If you find these tips useful, please consider donating to help us continue our life-changing work.
- Get your dog interested in their favourite toy.
- Take the dog out of the room.
- Hide the toy somewhere in the room (don’t make it too difficult to start with).
- Bring your dog back in and gently unclip the lead, give them a release cue such as ‘go free’ or ‘find it’ and allow them to go and explore the room to find the toy.
- If at any point they are struggling, help them out by moving closer to the toy, pointing towards it or move it to an easier position.
Tip! Over time you can make it harder and harder by placing the toy in more obscure places.
See all of our good ideas for lockdown here.